February 24, 2012
Fri! Day! List! Day!
1. My back, you guys, has given up on life. It’s been hurting all week and last night at kickboxing it decided to quit working. So I’ve been icing it and lying on the couch and whining a lot.
2. I love this tiny little duck. He is on a very important mission. He is probably quacking a case. He’s specquackular. I really think his detective skills are all they’re quacked up to be. You guys, I’ll be here all night. Seriously. I can’t get off the couch cause of my back.
3. So, I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again. I will say it again. You should start watching the sitcom Happy Endings. It’s on Wednesday nights on a channel. Maybe ABC? Anyway, it kills me. Last night they called one of the characters “Tuppence a Bag” because he attracts birds. Mary Poppins plus clever nicknames? Exactly. Start watching.
4. When you have a dog who’s been rescued from a tsunami, you have to fill his water bowl in a special way.
5. Laura and the fam are living in the surveyor’s house for the winter. It is the largest, grandest place they have ever lived. It has three rooms. And a pantry. Pa made a checkers board and he and Laura play. Ma doesn’t care for it.
6. For some reason, these bacon and corn griddle cakes look so good to me. But they are filled with fat, so I’m not going to make them. Until a day that my resolve is weak. So someone make them and report on the deliciousness, please!
7. Landon Pigg is a musician who is dating Mae Whitman (Amber on Parenthood). He has a new song and the Parenthood cast made the video for it. They’re very bad at lip syncing, but it’s super cute.
Okey dokes. I’m going to try to get a massage. Have a great weekend!
December 2, 2011
Today’s Friday list is brought to you by “Things That Made Me Happy This Week.”
1. Today is my dad’s birthday! Happy birthday, Dad! You can call him Charles in Charge, if you like. It’s what all the cool kids do. He really loves it when you call him that. Anyway, it makes me happy that it’s his birthday because I got him a pretty good gift, and I get to partake in it too. Win, win.
2. I started listening to my Christmas mix this week! Who isn’t happy when listening to Mariah Carey sing “Silent Night”? My very favorite Christmas album is by Phil Driscoll. Remember him? No? He’s a balding trumpet player. But my family listened to his Christmas album (literally record album) every year when I was little, so even though he has kind of an odd voice, it always brings back fond memories.
3. This video made me happy this week. It’s Michael Tait and the Newsboys performing “Jesus Freak.” But guess who shows up to bring a little hip-hop action to the show?!
I’m having a bit of dc talk nostalgia this week. I listened to all of the Free at Last album as I got ready yesterday. And I watched their old video for the song “I Luv Rap Music.” Kills me.
4. The ABC show Happy Endings makes me happy. Have you guys seen it? It’s so random and quirky but it makes me laugh every time I see it. They talk about boxing mice. The brown one is named “Mice Tyson.”
5. This picture. Joy.
6. I completed a piece of writing I’d been working on, and I loved the process and the finished piece. Writing is weird. Sometimes you do it a lot, but only because you have to, or because you’re supposed to, or because you’re saying what you’ve been hired to say. But this was something I enjoyed. It was fun.
7. Yesterday in my New Testament class, we talked about the book of Hebrews. I was reminded of this in Hebrews 4:
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
You guys. Jesus was tempted in every way. All of the things we struggle with — all of our temptations, burdens, fears, trials — Jesus understands. He did not succumb to the temptation like we do, but he was tempted. That is huge. It means, as that verse says, that we can go before Him knowing we’ll find mercy and grace to get us through. He’ll listen. He’ll comfort. He’ll sympathize. He’ll forgive. It just blows me away. The grace of our God. We pray Lord, have mercy. And he will.
Have a good weekend, friends! Notice little blessings, little happies. Be grateful for our Jesus; he loves us so much.