December 16, 2011
Oh, hi. It’s Friday — did you know?! Let’s celebrate with an ordered list.
1. I’m done with finals! It feels so good, you guys! I’ve completed all my tests, turned everything in, and I’m done until late January. Let the laziness begin!
2. In celebration of my newfound freedom I am in Colorado Springs from 8-5 today (not my idea). I’m attending a board meeting for Axis, a non-profit that goes around the country speaking to people about moving from apathy to compassionate action in the name of Jesus. They’re lucky I love them so much — otherwise I would not be willing to be up at 5:30 a.m.
3. I thought this article about Isaiah and his message was fascinating. Thoughts?
4. Have you all seen these Ryan Gosling photos on Pinterest? He just loves those mason jar lamps.
5. I’m going to see The Muppets movie tonight! Has anyone seen it? I’ve heard it’s really good and I’m so excited to see Kermit and Miss Piggy! I’m secretly hoping there’s also a teacup piglet making a cameo.
6. Have you all been watching Once Upon a Time? I don’t think the acting is that great, and I can’t see how they’re going to move the plot past one season, but some of the Lost writers are working on that show, and they keep putting in little Lost references. It’s worth watching just to spot Apollo candy bars and clocks stuck at 8:15. Also, I think I may need to watch Lost again during my free time in January. Anyone want to join me?
7. On a somber note, Christopher Hitchens died yesterday. He was an atheist who spent time debating Christians. He wrote the book “God is Not Great” and considered the Abrahamic religions (Christianity, Judaism and Islam) to be evil and a source of hatred. He died yesterday of cancer in his esophagus. It’s sombering — this man will now meet the maker he has denied. There is no triumph or vindication in this, if anything, as my friend Esther put it on Facebook, “Lord, have mercy.” God is real. He is true. We need him — we will all meet him one day. Lord, have mercy, and help us to share your truth with love and clarity.
Have a great weekend, friends! I’ll try to write some more interesting stuff next week now that I’m not sick and not being killed by finals!